Scary Humor

Saturday, November 24, 2012

Crone


New to this series? Read from the beginning of the story by clicking here.

***
“I have been waiting for you two,” cackled the crone in Greek, but with an accent hinting of ancient days. “You are one of the king’s guards. I know the king. I have told his fortune many times. But you are not here for me to read your fortune. And your friend is troublemaker for Rome. And clinging to you both, I see old fiends. You best leave now or your fortunes are at an end.”

“You tried to make a fool of our great king.” Bezalel drew his sword.

“He cheated me out of my fair payment. A few miserly coins for his fortune. Did I ask so much that he should cheat me?” The woman shooed several shadows out of her way.

“Don’t try any of your spell casting with us, woman.” Hillalel held his cloak out in front of him as if it could offer protection from a fiendish curse.

“You lied to your king,” said the military man.

“No. I told your king the truth. One arises to rule in his place. Mighty Rome shakes. Listen! He comes and Herod will be no more. ‘Kill the child,’ I told Herod. For this he throws me out. I sought refuge in the wilderness. ‘Give this child life?’ I asked the ruler of darkness. ‘No! Die! She must die’ he answered. To this place I come to find the one the holy one blesses.”

“Find who, you old witch? You’re not making sense.” Bezalel stepped closer to the hag.

“She who will be chosen to carry the king. She it is who must die.”

“Stop your nonsense.” shouted the traveler. “You cheated the king. His fortune is good, not evil like you.”

“For this, you die, woman.” Bezalel raised his sword.

“Kill me and one of you dies now. The other seeks death later, yet death refuses him.”

***
This completes To Dwell Among Us.Thanks for taking time to read it.

Free Fulfillment - save the date
Download a free copy of my Christmas novel, Fulfillment, for your Kindle starting this Tuesday, November 27th.

And if you can't wait that long, it's only a couple of bucks on my Amazon Author Page. See all of my Amazon books by clicking here.

Need a Kindle? Download the free version of the Kindle reader for your computer, tablet or smart phone from Amazon by clicking here.

Here’s another novel idea…
Enjoy this blog post? Please share it with your friends by clicking the social media buttons below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

The Final Meeting of the Moon Watcher's Club

Check out the free offer below. The Moon Watchers Club chased a herd of 12 does and one buck over in rural Kane County this past full moon c...

Most Popular Posts